Millions of Americans are searching for the best way to replace their missing teeth. A full-arch permanent bridge that is anchored to a set of dental implants is the perfect solution for many patients. The implants provide a permanent attachment foundation for the bridge which replaces the full set of teeth and gums on upper and lower jaws.
Smile Options at a Glance
Types of Dental Bridges
Most bridges are made in one of two ways:
- Liquid acrylic resin is poured into a mold and, once it hardens, the casting is removed, traditional denture teeth are added, and the bridge is attached to the implants.
- The full-arch Prettau® Bridge is precision-milled from a solid block of Prettau® Zirconia, hand-colored and polished to match natural teeth and gums, and anchored to the implants.
So what’s the difference between acrylic and zirconia?
The implants serve the same function for both types of solutions, but the difference in the materials used to make the bridge significantly affects its final look, feel, and performance over time. Remember, the bridge itself must stand up to the daily wear and tear of eating and talking. It should look natural, be comfortable, and stand up to wear and tear without cracking, chipping, or staining. So how do you choose between acrylic and Prettau® Zirconia? Our comparison focuses on three things:
Three basic things to consider when choosing the right material for your dental bridge:
Fit & Function
- Acrylic bridges with denture teeth are fragile and tend to break over time. This puts stress on the supporting implants and results in bridge movement during chewing and talking.
- Prettau® Zirconia bridges are much more stable and actually form a supporting structure that minimizes any movement and stress on the implants.
- While acrylic bridges with denture teeth are cheaper than Prettau® Zirconia bridges, they must frequently be replaced every few years. Eating and speaking take a steady and gradual toll on the porous acrylic resin, causing it to break down, become unstable, and attract plaque and bacteria.
- Prettau® Zirconia costs more than acrylic initially, but is non-porous and much more durable. You may never need repairs or maintenance, so it actually saves you money over time. Solid Prettau® Zirconia bridges withstand significant pressure and resist chipping, fractures and wear.
- Acrylic bridges with denture teeth tend to look artificial, stain easily, and are more difficult to clean than solid, non-porous zirconia.
- Prettau® Zirconia bridges achieve a bite and smile that is virtually indistinguishable from healthy, natural teeth and gums.
Why Prettau® Zirconia is a better choice for dental bridges than acrylic with denture teeth
- Prettau® Zirconia is stronger and much more durable than acrylic.
- Prettau® Zirconia bridges don’t look artificial. They are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth and gums.
- Solid Prettau® Zirconia bridges are non-porous, so they don’t stain and are easy to clean.
- Prettau® Zirconia doesn’t attract plaque and bacteria, so it minimizes your risk of bad breath (halitosis), gum disease, and other conditions that affect your overall health.
- Acrylic with denture teeth is more prone to absorb colors, odors, and bacteria from the food and beverages you consume.
- Prettau® Zirconia won’t crack, chip or break like acrylic bridges.
- Implant-supported Prettau® Zirconia bridges are designed and manufactured using state-of-the-art CAD/CAM technology to achieve a precise and comfortable fit. You and your doctor thoroughly review a computer-generated model of your unique smile restoration. Once you approve the model, your bridge is precision-milled from a solid block of zirconia, then hand-colored and finished to match the natural look of your teeth and gums.
Teeth Tomorrow Augusta is Here to Help